Arania Minecraft Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum of Arania Server.

+17
Sellador
Bilderberg
beansbeenz
sskonis
Eztoyloco
sblimit
rogueman117
kasparsade
TBCPhantom
Mjolnor
Cathonic
Angelo85
zerokontrol
Zenthan
rollthehard6
Angryfrogman
Runkpapper
21 posters

Why the server is not running~

Runkpapper
    Runkpapper
    Admin

Why the server is not running~ - Page 4 Empty Re: Why the server is not running~

Post  Runkpapper Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Hello everyone.

So, this is the deal.

First of all, the reason that we have so much downtimes right now is that Minecraft.net and the game is down. As far as I know they are switching servers or something like that, that's why minecraft have been down for a time now. And everytime minecraft gets up again, I have to update the server. And this happens 120312 times while i'm even at work. I recently got back home and started to work on this.

This is what I will do.

I will back the server to a previous version, version 1.11_02 Beta.
    This will NOT effect anything you have built. The map will still be the same.

I will upload a own made Minecraft Client that prevents updating of the client so it stays at 1.11_02, and my theory is that when we have this version of the game. No more updates is needed, and Also.. All the plugins should work! And we do not need to update anything! We just use previous versions of their plugins which I have already installed. So for people to join our server they have to download our client that prevents updating.

This should be more comfortable for us as we can stay at one stage of our server and don't have to switch, jump, update or fix anything.

The negative part is that we wont be able to experience the new updates, new items and such that Notch is releasing.

But hey, wanna hear what I think.. Screw that, I already got everything I need!

But I still need to wait for Minecraft to get back up again..

Regards
    Arania Team
    sskonis
    sskonis

Why the server is not running~ - Page 4 Empty Re: Why the server is not running~

Post  sskonis Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Does this mean that the server will be staying permanently at this state or only until everything becomes stable again?

Not really much fun in playing a game that isn't going to update or being able to experience new content etc. Where as it's fine in a small dose after awhile it'll be a bit tedious.

As for Entropia Angelo has already given up on it after experiencing the real feel of the gameplay Razz.
    Angelo85
    Angelo85

Post  Angelo85 Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:18 pm

The Server will stay on 1.11_02 until we got a stable 1.2 release and Plugin Support (through Bukkit or other means). Of course then it will switch to the newer Version.

And as for Entropia I'm open minded. If you guys think it's cool/worth it I am on board. But right now I am not that impressed as I was yesterday evening, after I got closer glance at the core gameplay.
    sskonis
    sskonis

Post  sskonis Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Ah, as long as it's going to be updated in the future sounds good to me ^_^.

I burned 2 or 3 months into Entropia the first time around with putting no money on it and got nowhere so I'll have to give this one a miss. Just waiting patiently for Minecraft to come back up so I can get to work again Razz
    Cathonic

Post  Cathonic Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Well I guess thats that then, no beautful sandstone for a while Very Happy.

But still GJ Runk, any idea when server will be up?

As for Entropia universe, sounds like a mega grind for very little so count me out ^^.
    sskonis
    sskonis

Post  sskonis Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Seems to be the old version of minecraft pre 1.2 and I think it stops updates as well if that saves u some time Runk.
    sskonis
    sskonis

Post  sskonis Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Couldn't it also be an option to just do Vanilla 1.2 on a new map? While we wait for plugins to be available and then bring back the old map.

You could transfer the player data from the old map to the new map so we still had all items in our possesion so it wouldn't be like starting over could just give people a set time to have there inventory ready save the server back it all up Then start a new map and copy over the player profiles so we could still play around with the same people but that we wouldn't have to worry about stuff getting griefed that much. Plus that way we get to experiment with all the new stuff.
    rollthehard6
    rollthehard6

Post  rollthehard6 Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 pm

sskonis wrote:Couldn't it also be an option to just do Vanilla 1.2 on a new map? While we wait for plugins to be available and then bring back the old map.

You could transfer the player data from the old map to the new map so we still had all items in our possesion so it wouldn't be like starting over could just give people a set time to have there inventory ready save the server back it all up Then start a new map and copy over the player profiles so we could still play around with the same people but that we wouldn't have to worry about stuff getting griefed that much. Plus that way we get to experiment with all the new stuff.

What motivation would there be to build, knowing that we would switch back to the old map at some time?

But im curious, what happens to things already built in the map with new items?
    sskonis
    sskonis

Post  sskonis Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:53 pm

You can keep specific things and all sorts of things like that if u really want to go digging through the files. Basically u can just keep your characters invenotry with quite simply.
    rollthehard6
    rollthehard6

Why the server is not running~ - Page 4 Empty no..

Post  rollthehard6 Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:00 pm

No..If we started a new temporary map, i think i might leave. Be consistant. Stick with one map. Not switch between the two for no real reason.

Im not against starting a new map, i wouldnt mind that so much. Im against starting a new map with the intentions to not keep it. I think that's stupid.
    Cathonic

Post  Cathonic Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Indeed, starting a new one and goiing back to the old one isnt a great idea imo.

Tbh I don't see the point in a new map either. If you want untouched lands, go for a walk. You never have to see noobia again if you don't want ^^. Also losing Dwarrowdelf would be a pain :S
    sblimit
    sblimit

Post  sblimit Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Runkpapper wrote:
    Bilderberg wrote:Yeah. I'm seriously hoping I can get back today and log on to this damned server.

I mean I'm a patient guy but c'mon. I didn't donate because I thought it'd be funny, I did it for server upkeep to assist in making sure I get an experience that is not riddled with fail.

Let me explain a small part in what I have to do to get this running.

First of all I need to constantly watch Bukkit and Minecraft websites to see when they do their sneaky updates. They update without warning all the time, sometimes twice a day.

And IRL I have Alot to do. I got my work, and sometimes I work till nightfall, and my DJ project which takes alot of hours per day. The time I have for playing and interwebs is very limited since new year.

Also since our hoster and everyone els stopped to care since Hey0 left, you need to install,update and fix everything manually. Before all this, you had a button called "Update server" you clicked this, and ur done.

Now I have to download 2 programs to update my server. puTTy & tunnelier. I have to enter tunnelier, a FTPS database and manually place my files in my database. Then extract them because you cant send files not ziped. This I have to do through puTTy. A DDOS like interweb thingy which can be linked into my database. Here comes the tricky part.. Our hosters thought that, "hey we dont support Bukkit so we dont give out any commands". So I had to look around on whole google to find 3 commands which isn't even enough to atleast extract bukkit from it's zip. After I got those commands I had to fight my ass off with our hosters to get a simple description how to install bukkit. ( Please not that the description given is not for bukkit, it's for hey0.. ) So I had to re-do the commands so it fitted with Bukkit.

Now when they updated the server I have to re-do all of this and it's quiet time draining.

So please, do not expect the server to run 24/7 and flawless during this time. I am working as hard as I can to keep it up, but as Notch and all the moders out there breaking everything it's quiet hard to keep a server running smoothly.

Regards
    Arania Team

Just got back in town and saw this post so i digging it back up, even know I saw the server is reverting back.

Putty is very easy to use, if you know anything about unix. A script to update everything on reboot would be fairly easy to write should be something like this:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
    rm minecraft_server.jar
    wget "http://minecraft.net/download/minecraft_server.jar"
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

this would cause the server to update the server each time it restarted. I was unsure on the last line cause I dont know what you use to start the server but hopefully you get the drift.

This process would work or all the plugins as well it just might take some more lines.
    sskonis
    sskonis

Post  sskonis Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 pm

It was more about being so afraid of being griefed then anything else.

It was just a suggestion, I put a lot of work on the current map as well.

Also a temp map playing with the community is better then sitting here twidling fingers Razz
    Cathonic

Post  Cathonic Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:52 am

seems like minecraft is on the new server, everything seems to be working.
    sskonis
    sskonis

Post  sskonis Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 am

What what?!?
    Cathonic

Post  Cathonic Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 am

as in you can log into minecraft now, still cant play yet since Runk couldnt fix stuff with minecraft down.
    zerokontrol

Post  zerokontrol Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:17 am

Ya they seem to have fixed the minecraft.net server issues, now we wait for Runk to be around and let us know whats up.
    sskonis
    sskonis

Post  sskonis Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 am

Yeah looks like they've finished majority of there server transfers. Only thing left to finish is the Skins transfer Razz
    smobley

Post  smobley Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:19 am

Last edited by smobley on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Read previous posts.)
    sskonis
    sskonis

Post  sskonis Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:23 am

Thats a lovely blank post Razz
    zerokontrol

Post  zerokontrol Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:28 am

Smobley, you can delete your post with the [X] on the bottom right of your post.

On topic: :O?
    Runkpapper
    Runkpapper
    Admin

Post  Runkpapper Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 am

Alright so, the server is UP with the Latest version.
    Version 1.2_02. So just update and connect.

For now there's no plugins at all. And it seems that we can't do a set-back of the server version to 1.1_02 .. Because I have looked everywhere for an older version, and I thought that minecraft.net would have the older versions for download but they did not.

So I am going to try make this script limit gave me and have it updated on restart.

So, plugins and Bukkit will have to wait untill the mod is stable enough to handle everything. But we can still play!

And, this is something you have to decide. Do YOU want to allow new players to enter our server and play without our protection plugins?

Enter here and vote in this Poll:

But for the moment, you should be able to connect.

Regards
    Arania Team
    sblimit
    sblimit

Post  sblimit Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 am

Runkpapper wrote:Alright so, the server is UP with the Latest version.
    Version 1.2_02. So just update and connect.

For now there's no plugins at all. And it seems that we can't do a set-back of the server version to 1.1_02 .. Because I have looked everywhere for an older version, and I thought that minecraft.net would have the older versions for download but they did not.

So I am going to try make this script limit gave me and have it updated on restart.

So, plugins and Bukkit will have to wait untill the mod is stable enough to handle everything. But we can still play!

And, this is something you have to decide. Do YOU want to allow new players to enter our server and play without our protection plugins?

Enter here and vote in this Poll:

But for the moment, you should be able to connect.

Regards
    Arania Team

If you need a more advanced script just let me know, just let me know what you plan on loading or want to load. Im a little unsure how the plugins work but If need be I can make one to update both minecraft and bukkit before it loads. Just let me know.
    Angryfrogman
    Angryfrogman

Why the server is not running~ - Page 4 Empty Mobs

Post  Angryfrogman Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:07 am

Runk Could u turn off mobs till the plugins are back up? it is really a drag if your exploring the newly generated land and die and forget were you were with your stuff. I any one likes this idea plz say so.
    zerokontrol

Post  zerokontrol Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:07 am

Will not happen angry, Runk asked server today if we wanted creepers gone... everyone said no. I am sure the answer would be the same for the rest of the mobs.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:06 pm